“Created by locals, and inspired by the creative and ecological vision of Central Victorians, The Salvage Yard facilitates the recycling, reclamation and reusing of salvaged building materials, including flooring, furniture, fixtures, plumbing, bricks, iron and timber. This business is strongly supported by residents of the local area, as well as those from further afield. The Salvage Yard allows for the reutilisation of materials that would otherwise be disposed of, discarded or unused, thereby significantly contributing to the environmental sustainability, creative output and thereby the health and wellbeing of the local, as well as the wider central Victorian, community.“
Mat Boyle and Anna Winneke
MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
The Salvage Yard
Kyneton and District Town Square Co-Op Ltd.
Non-Binding Memorandum Of Understanding
The Salvage Yard (ABN: tba)
of 6 Lewis Drive, Castlemaine 3444
Kyneton and District Town Square Co-Op: ( G0003604A)
of Victoria Street, Kyneton. 3444
In this agreement creates the background for a partnership between the two organisations. As a significant Central Victorian business,The Salvage Yard supports the work of the Co-Op in its campaign to save the old Baynton Street Primary School for community responsibility and use.
The Parties to this Agreement
The Salvage Yard
Created by locals, and inspired by the creative and ecological vision of Central Victorians, The Salvage Yard facilitates the recycling, reclamation and reusing of salvaged building materials, including flooring, furniture, fixtures, plumbing, bricks, iron and timber. This business is strongly supported by residents of the local area, as well as those from further afield. The Salvage Yard allows for the reutilisation of materials that would otherwise be disposed of, discarded or unused, thereby significantly contributing to the environmental sustainability, creative output and thereby the health and wellbeing of the local, as well as the wider central Victorian, community.
Kyneton and District Town Square Co-Op (K&DTSC)
The purpose of the Co-Op as outlined in the constitution is that the organisation “will promote strong community, based on values of broad engagement and mutuality, by creating a publicly-owned Town Square in the heart of Kyneton for the public benefit of Kyneton and district residents”.
The vision of the Co-Op is to:
- Provide affordable, or freely available, indoor and outdoor space for a broad range of community groups and community activities.
- Maintenance and protection of heritage values.
- A place of collective belonging and connection. Open, accessible, and flexible public space.
- Shared community responsibility based on control of the precinct by a democratic organisation.
- Support for community driven and socially worthwhile initiatives. Strongly engaged community across all age groups to promote broad inclusion.
- Commercial use of the precinct by the Co-Op to create cash flow for the nurturing, and the promotion, of public good and benefit
- Aim to meet everyone’s needs without harming the living world or the prosperity of future generations
Duration of MOU
- This is a non-binding Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between The Salvage Yard and K&DTSC.
- The MOU will apply from the date of signingand will continue to apply until termination by either party on the giving of 1 month’s written notice to the other.
- The Salvage Yard and K&DTSC are committed to maintaining a positive and cooperative working relationship.
- As part of the parties’ mutual commitment, The Salvage Yard and K&DTSC will act in accordance with the spirit and intent of this MOU, even though neither party intends that it be legally binding.
The aim of this MOU is to set up collaboration between The Salvage Yard and K&DTSC. This collaborative agreement will create an opportunity for communication about ways in which the Salvage Yard can play a positive role in the success of building and construction projects at the school precinct. This could take the form of pro bono advice and guidance, or the supply of materials for funded Town Square projects. Two Stage Three projects from the Co-Op’s development plan which have potential for collaboration between the two organisations are the Open Market Building and the Amphitheatre Complex.
Roles and Responsibilities
This agreement will be overseen by a two or three-person working group consisting of a member of each organisation meeting when the need arises.
The working group will:
- make recommendations to the Board of the Town Square Co-Op.
- investigate and develop ways in which the the Salvage Yard can contribute to the success of Town Square projects especially those involving community participation in alternative construction.
Advertising and announcements
Unless required by law, an announcement, circular or other public disclosure including promotional materials such as newsletters, brochures, flyers or annual reports, referring to the contents or subject matter of this MOU, must not be made or permitted by a party without the prior approval of the other party.
The parties acknowledge that information disclosed by one party to the other (the disclosing party) in the course of the subject matter of this MOU may be confidential and unless required by law must not be disclosed to a third party except with the prior written consent of the disclosing party.
- If a dispute or difference arises between the parties out of or in connection with this MOU, either party may give the other a written notice specifying the dispute or difference.
- Within 7 days of the date of the notice, a person holding a position of senior management of each party must meet and undertake negotiations in good faith and on a without prejudice basis with a view to resolving the dispute or difference.
The parties may agree to vary any of the requirements of this MOU. Such agreement must be in writing and signed by both parties.